Blackmagic Design ATEM 4 Overview
The Blackmagic Design ATEM 4 M/E Broadcast Studio 4K is a live switcher designed for HD and UHD 4K broadcast productions. Twenty 12G-SDI inputs support UHD 4K video up to 59.94 fps, and are backward compatible with 1080p, 1080i, or 720p sources as well (inputs do not feature scaling, so all sources must be of the same resolution). All inputs are frame synchronized, so non-genlocked sources can be used. Audio is supported via all SDI inputs plus 2 sets of dedicated analog stereo inputs via XLR and RCA. For in-the-box mixing, connect a computer running ATEM software control, and have immediate control of all audio channel inputs. Connections for timecode, reference, and control are also available. SDI outputs are available for program and preview, and they can operate at either HD or UHD resolutions, just like the inputs. Two preview outputs allow you to spread your multi-view over two displays.
Like its namesake, the ATEM 4 M/E Broadcast Studio 4K features four mix-effects buses for creating advanced effects to boost production value. Within each mix-effects bus, there are 4 built-in upstream keyers, for a total of 16 keyers, enabling your production to take advantage of many video and graphics layers simultaneously. Two downstream keyers for bugs, logos, and global lower-thirds are also available. The built-in DVE processing lets you adjust video streams with control over size and rotation, plus, 3D borders, drop shadows, and lighting effects are also available.
Other connectivity includes Ethernet for adding control surfaces, or for remote control over a network. USB connectivity allows for the ATEM switcher’s firmware to be updated in the future, and for internal settings. The entire chassis of the ATEM 4 M/E Broadcast Studio 4K fits inside a standard 19″ equipment rack, only requiring 2 RU of space. Internal redundant power supplies require separately available standard IEC cables for power.
- Creative Transitions
- ATEM live production switchers have a choice of transitions including Cut, Mix, Dip and Wipe patterns. Key frame based DVE moves, flying graphics and animated stingers are also integrated. Every transition is instantly available and you get full control of the transition type, pattern, length and more.
- Upstream Keyers
- ATEM live production switchers include powerful upstream keying for broadcast effects. Layer live video, titles, graphics and animation over live video or graphic backgrounds with incredible quality using chroma, luma, linear and pattern keying. The ATEM 4 M/E Broadcast Studio 4K features 16 total upstream keyers for advanced layering.
- Downstream Keyers
- ATEM switchers feature two downstream keyers so you can insert high quality graphics like logos, bugs and titles over the live ‘on air’ program output. Downstream keyers are the last layers of keying so they overlay all video switched to the main program. You can also easily bypass the downstream keyers by using the clean feed aux outputs. This means you can record the clean feed as your master and use the downstream keyers for overlays that you only want on air.
- Digital video effects, or DVE, lets you control size, position, rotation of an incoming video stream and features 3D borders, drop shadows and lighting. You can save customized DVE positions and automatically trigger the picture to animate full screen or zoom.
- Audio Mixer
- Open the audio mixer control tab on your Mac or Windows device and you get complete multi track mixing control with level meters You can precisely direct camera and external audio with level and balance adjustments, enable and disable channels or activate audio follow video mode instantly. You can also connect to Mackie standard USB audio mixer panels, giving you hardware feedback and the feel of flying faders and meter displays.
- In addition to the mix-effects buses, keyers, and video effects, SuperSource layering provides an additional 4 independent DVE channels so you can resize and position live cameras, video replays, broadcast graphics and more. SuperSource is like having an additional multi-layer VFX switcher built in. For example, you would be able to take four video feeds and incorporate them picture-in-picture for live interviews during your broadcast.
- Multiview Flexibility
- Multi view makes it easy to see your cameras, graphics, preview and program outputs on single screen. That means you don’t need lots of monitors to see all your individual cameras. Use the two multiview outputs to spread up to 16 inputs across two screens.
- Switchable TV Standards
- With the ATEM 4 M/E Broadcast Studio 4K you have the flexibility to work in different standards at any time. If your other equipment only supports HD, the ATEM 4 M/E Broadcast Studio 4K has the processing capabilities for switching to 4K when you’re ready.
- Internal Media Players
- You can store broadcast quality RGBA graphics in the media pool ready for instant playback via the ATEM media players. The two media players appear as input sources to your switcher. You can transition to graphics as full frame video or feed them to the keyers for overlaying video. Popular image formats such as PNG, TGA, BMP, GIF, JPEG and TIFF are supported.
- Photoshop CC Plugin
- With the included Photoshop CC plug-in, you can create graphics live and then instantly download them into the ATEM media pool. Designers can create professional broadcast graphics such as logos, lower thirds, scorecards and other real-time graphics that can be downloaded directly to instantly change live graphics as they come in.